History of the Page House
In 1903, T.L. Griner began construction of an 11-room, 7,000 sq. ft. Classic Greek Revival home that was often described as one of the grandest homes south of Atlanta. It consisted of Tiffany-style stained-glass windows, the only private home in this area of the state with a ballroom, 12-foot ceilings, interior Ionic columns, and picture moldings sealed with silver then brushed with gold, and much more. In 1904, J.D. Smith, a local lawyer and businessman, purchased the residence for $11,000.00. He lived here with his family until selling it to Dr. J.M. Page in 1905. Dr. Page's family consisted of his wife, two daughters and four sons. He was a "horse and buggy" doctor, making his rounds through the countryside visiting the sick. The home remained in family use until 1965. Since then, it has served as a church, residential property, funeral home, and corporate offices.
Approaching its 106th birthday, the stately old landmark began a new life when Kelly and Janice Canady acquired the property in June of 1998. Dedicated preservationist and hands-on owners, the Canady's have enhanced the beauty of classic exterior and interior with an authentic restoration.
Written by Elizabeth Garrett (Betty) Page
© Copyright 1999 - 2007 Page House Bed and Breakfast. All Rights Reserved.
Graphics by Bejewelled
Website Design by Scott E. Warren